Friday, July 08, 2005

Sunburns, Sand and Freckles part 2

So I took yesterday off from work, and pretty much life in general. I didn't manage to make it out of bed until nearly noon. The house still doesn't feel like home and I am unmotivated to do anything about it. I am tired, snippy, and on the verge of tears every time I turn around. Obviously I am having a hormonal induced breakdown. I hope that tomorrow is sunny so that I can swim in the lake with the boys, relax with my family and hear tales from Mexico from my Uncle Tom who is up visiting this weekend.

While camping this past weekend I rediscovered my inner martyr. A trait I picked up from my mother and my grandmother. We have a tendency to take on more of a load then we should and then we feel slighted when no one around notices this "sacrifice" of our time and energy on their behalf.

The BF and I have a deal when we're at home, I'll cook and he'll clean up. It's a nice division of labor and I have come to really enjoy it. I though it would be the same while camping. So I was doing actual cooking of meals not just roasting burgers over the fire (which was nearly impossible because of how wet the wood was and how damn hard it was to get any real flames going) and I was doing all the clean up as well. When my family used to camp we cleaned up everyday so that when it was time to pack up and leave there weren't huge piles of trash everywhere and we didn't have to worry about animals coming into camp at night. This daily clean up isn't part of the camping routine that the boys had been accustomed to so naturally they didn't feel any need to help out and do any of it. If I had asked I know they would have helped out, their mom raised them to help out whenever they are asked. I am just very stubborn and refused to ask them to do something I thought they should just do on their own. Typical female thing.

By Sunday this martyr had had enough. I knew I was being stupid and that I needed to chill out. No one had asked or was expecting me to cook and clean for them. Those were chores I had assigned to myself and if I didn't want to do them I didn't have to. The BF, who had been receiving the cold shoulder all day, took me down to the beach and let me unload on him. I was hurt that he didn't feel the need to help me out like he does at home, and I felt rejected when earlier in the day he'd taken off with his friends on the quads while I was cooking breakfast without even saying anything to me. I went camping to be with him, not to be left alone. I am proud of myself that I managed to get all that out without resorting to tears. I often think that tears are a form of emotional blackmail and I don't like them. It was close though. I am not used to actually talking things out with a guy. It's a very nice very new experience.

Why do people drool when they sleep? I never used to drool when I was younger.  What's changed in the past couple of years that now when I sleep on my side or stomach I wake up with a puddle of drool under my face more times then not? I fell asleep on the beach Monday when everyone was hanging out down there talking and goofing off. I woke up and my arm, which I had been using as a pillow, was soaked. Gross. At least I've figured out how to sleep without snoring like a chainsaw.  Somtimes

My friend Melinda sent me this joke and I thought I would share it; a little pot-head humor for the day.
The lizard, while walking through the jungle, looks up and says to the monkey, "Hey! What are you doing?"
The monkey says, "Smoking a joint; come up and join me, my cold-blooded friend."
So the lizard climbs up and sits next to the monkey and they smoke.
After a while the lizard says his mouth is 'dry', and that he's going to get a drink from the river. At the riverbank, the lizard is so stoned that he leans too far over and falls in.
A crocodile sees this and swims over to the stoned lizard, helping him to the side. He then asks the lizard, "What's the matter with you?!"
The lizard explains to the crocodile that he was sitting in the tree, smoking a joint with his new monkey friend. He then explained how his mouth got dry, and that he was so wasted that, when he went to get a drink from the river, he fell in!
The inquisitive crocodile says he has to check this out. He walks into the jungle and finds the tree where the monkey is sitting, finishing a joint.
He looks up and says, "Hey, MONKEY!"
The monkey looks down and says, "SHIIIIIIIIT, DUDE.........How much water did you drink?

1 comment:

Theresa said...

LMAO! i love a good joke, thanks for sharing!!