Monday, July 25, 2005

Not Exactly A Geyser

Finally finished re-reading book five the Harry Potter series. I figured that there was plenty that I had forgotten in the past two years so it would be a good idea to refresh my memory before I bough the new book. Like I had forgotten Grawp and Frienze (sp?) the new Divinanation teacher.

I took the boys out to flaming Geyser state park on Sunday. The booth collecting the $5 parking fee was all new to me, so was the parking fee. We were just going to each lunch there but since I had to pay for the privilege of entering the park and parking my car there I was going to make the most of it. After lunch we hiked out past the hordes of people BBQing and launching inner-tubes down the Green River to the park's namesake. It's not exactly a geyser like you would see in Yellowstone. It's a 6-10 inch flame that comes from a round block of concrete that caps a hole in the ground that's over 1400 feet deep. At one time the flame was very impressive, reaching heights of over 10 feet. It was still nice to look at. This little flame burning mysteriously on top of a block of concrete. A quarter mile hike into the woods brought us to Bubbling Geyser, again not much of a geyser. Methane gas percolates up through the ground and bubbles into a small pool of water turning the bottom of the pool and everything in it grey. On the way back I slid down part of a hill (I was wearing open toe sandals because I was not expecting to go hiking) and somehow managed to poke a stick through my middle toe. Say it with me OUCH! It went right through the skin on the side of my toe so it's really just a flesh wound but I am milking it for all the sympathy I can get.

It looks like the China thing may be a "No Go". We decided that they had to offer up a guaranty of full time employment upon his return. So far it doesn't sound like they are in a position to do that. I don't know how I feel about it. This past couple of weeks has been hard, not having him around. The idea of two months with him on the other side of the world is a bit scary. That said it's a wonderful opportunity for him to break into a new industry and get out of the world of AV. What better thing could there be for him then to get a chance to design and build off road vehicles? The BF is never more happy then when he is racing his cars or playing around on the quads. To work for a company that builds them would be a dream job. It would be like me getting a job doing field research with a Social Anthropology team. Pure Heaven.

My dad sent me this joke:

A Spanish teacher was explaining to her class that in Spanish, unlike English, nouns are designated as either masculine or feminine. "House'' for instance, is feminine: ''la casa.'' ''Pencil,'' however, is masculine: "el lapiz.''
A student asked, ''What gender is 'computer'?'' Instead of giving the answer, the teacher split the class into two groups, male and female, and asked them to decide for themselves whether ''computer'' should be a masculine or a feminine noun. Each group was asked to give four reasons for its recommendation.

The men's group decided that ''computer'' should definitely be of the feminine gender (''la computadora''), because:
1. No one but their creator understands their internal logic
2. The native language they use to communicate with other computers is incomprehensible to everyone else
3. Even the smallest mistakes are stored in long term memory for possible later retrieval
4. As soon as you make a commitment to one, you find yourself spending half your paycheck on accessories for it.

The women's group, however, concluded that computers should be Masculine (''el computador''), because:

1. In order to do anything with them, you have to turn them on
2. They have a lot of data but still can't think for themselves
3. They are supposed to help you solve problems, but half the time they ARE the problem
4. As soon as you commit to one, you realize that if you had waited a little longer, you could have gotten a better model

The women won.

I am not so sure I agree with the conclusion of this joke. BTW does anyone know what computer is in Spanish? I could look it up but I am too lazy.

No comments: