Thursday, July 21, 2005

Bling Bling

Came home yesterday to find my anniversary gift to myself waiting in the mailbox. The BF and I had a good laugh over how huge this ring is. It's shiny and real looking on the outside but it's fake and worthless on the inside just like the frex.

The story of my awful day at the new company has made the office rounds. I received a reply from my new boss to the e-mail (see below) I'd sent him. Nothing of much substance to it. He doesn't anticipate any problems with collaborative support....quirky personalities....yadda yadda yadda. Then he says he'll call to talk things over but never does. I am taking this as a sign of things to come. In a nut shell the day started out fine. We met some very nice people and went on a tour of the place. They are stacked in there nuts to butts and everytime we asked how and where we would fit in there was a lot of nervous laughter and a breezy "Oh we'll find you a spot somewhere." Hmmm. I guess they are looking into leasing the empty space in a building next door but no one seemed to know when that was going to happen. We spent most of the day in a conference room with people from various departments coming in and giving us an over view of what they do and how their work process runs. We got to listen to part of the new Herbie Hancock CD - Joss Stone and Johnnie Lang singing a duet version of When Love Came to Town. That was the best part of the day. Well actually lunch was pretty good too. Two of their project managers took us out to lunch and between double martinis and beers we had a great time talking about the people in the industry that we all know and getting to know each other on a personal level.

The day went south for me when I ducked out of the last presentation of the day, going over contractors and installer agreements (not my area), and I went back to the engineering department to talk with my future co-workers.

Okay let me set the stage here...

They work in the back end of the building, one wall is actually a garage door. To get into their area you walk through a door that is plastered with a life size poster of what looks like some guy from Baywatch (yes a guy in the red swim trunks not some gal with her boobs spilling out of the red swim suit) and you walk into an area that is covered from floor to ceiling (which is very high because it is a warehouse after all) in posters of other guys. I didn't want to stare at them too much so I didn't take in any of the details but I was told that each of them had a face of one of the engineers superimposed onto them. Very weird. It was like walking into the grown up version of the He Man Women Haters Club. So I walk in and am standing in this space surrounded by images of testosterone pumping manly maleness and not a single one of them acknowledges my presence. Every attempt I made at getting a conversation started was greeted with grunts or monosyllabic answers. Are they angry at me personally? Do they treat all new people this way? Is it cause I am a female entering into their all boys club? Are they pissed off about this merger (take a number boys) and are taking it out on me? Don't know.

So I have let everyone I know, know that I am looking for a new job. I even broke down and told my dad that I would be willing to work at Boeing. I have worked too hard and have accomplished too much to be treated that way.

In other news - I am beginning a new dry spell counter. We are now at roughly 74 hours. I will be soooooo happy when this car show is over and done with. Alas there is always another show and another list of modification that need to be done just waiting in the wings.

No comments: