Wednesday, October 05, 2011

A Long Night

Fire Escape of The Agora
I thought once Jeff came out of surgery and was doing good in the ICU I would get a good night's sleep.  Wrong.  Every noise woke me up.  I was too cold.  I was too hot.  I was just missing the snoring lump that is usually beside me.

I spent a little over an hour in the ICU with Jeff before going home.  He looks good.  As good as you can look strapped to a bed with a breathing tube down your throat.  He sort of woke up a couple of times.  I don't think he was actually aware of anything.  He was obviously in some pain and I am sure the tube was bothering him.

The nurse gave him pain medicine and suctioned out his mouth.  I asked for and received some warm socks to put on his feet.  Jeff hates it when his feet are cold. 

They spent a good portion of the time I was there trying to find the right combination of oxygen levels, respiratory rate, and I think maybe just the force of the air they push into his lungs.  Jeff's oxygen saturation levels kept falling into the mid to low 80s.  The respiratory nurse would adjust something to bring it up and 5 minutes later it would fall back down again.  Leave it to Jeff to test the limitations of everything.  During the surgery they deflate one of his lungs to get better access to different areas of his heart.  It's up the ICU team to re-inflate his lungs and keep them inflated.

I told the nurses about Jeff's continuous sinus issues and how every morning his throat is swollen and full of phlegm.  She put a note in his chart to suction his airway every time someone comes in to check on him.  When I left they had found the right combo and his levels were steady at 94.

In the ICU
I'll be heading out there again this morning.  The nurses warned me that he may still have the breathing tube in.  They are very cautious when it comes to these things.  I  can appreciate that.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like Jeff is blessed to have a very conscientious nursing staff... He is also very lucky to have you looking after him Tess...
Please tell him that I said "hello" when he comes around.
Talk to you soon,
Reed

Anonymous said...

I was thinking that when he gets to talking about it, someone should point out that he has to build himself an Iron Man suit to go with his Tony Stark-ish experience... Bet he likes that idea! But lets give him a real challenge and tell him it has to run on a single 9V battery. Cuz, anyone can make an arc reactor and that's just taking the easy way.

In all seriousness, may he rest comfortably and get that appetite back real quick. :)

Standing by,
Praying with gratitude,

Jason

Anonymous said...

Jeff is so blessed to have you there and I think your story on the replacement will work just fine..

Always in my prayers,
Pam

GradysMom said...

So relieved to hear he is doing okay (and so sweet about the socks).

Anonymous said...

Glad he made it through okay and I'm glad youre holding up okay as well. The socks were very sweet :) It sounds like Jeff is in great hands with the staff at the Clinic and with you.

-Sara

Anonymous said...

Tess,

I am so glad you are so strong.

I know the next few weeks will be rough for Jeff. I hope you brought his favorite pillow, cause he will need a good one to hug when he wants to get up and down.

I still remember how painfull it was after my surgery.

Hang in there. We are still keeping the both of you in our prayers.

Love Mom

Unknown said...

Thank you everyone.
Mom, I had forgotten about the pillow until they gave him one in the ICU this morning.

Anonymous said...

I'm so impressed with your ability to articulate the events around you. We are very happy that Jeff is on the road to recovery and hope that you may also begin to stabilize your oxygen levels.

Dad