Thursday, September 22, 2011

B&B vs. Hotel

Neither Jeff nor I travel a whole lot.  When we do it's usually business related so a corporate travel planner makes all the decisions.  This trip next week is our first long out of state "vacation" together.  I am using the term vacation with a heavy dose of irony.  And if we just ignore the whole hospitalization and surgery part, I am actually looking forward to it.  I am just going to focus on the first 5 days instead of the rest of the trip.

For everyone that is following along, we will be staying at The Brownstone Inn,  The Cleveland Clinic gave us a list of places to look into for accommodations and this place was on the list.  I've never stayed in a Bed & Breakfast before so was reluctant to call them.  I am used to the anonymity of chain hotels.  However I wanted a place with a kitchen and laundry and I found both at The Brownstone.  As an added bonus the owner was very friendly when he called me back and offered to take us to the apartments he owns on the next street and rent us one of those for the two weeks if we want.  Same price - Yippee!

Jeff and I will be flying out Tuesday night, the 27th.  If all goes well we'll be coming home Wednesday October 12th.  Jeff has two pre-surgery appoints with Dr. Svensson and Dr. Stewart.  Surgery is scheduled at The Cleveland Clinic - Number 1 in Cardiac Care for 17 years -  on Tuesday October 4th pending the outcome of those earlier appointments.  I suppose if Jeff gets sick or they find a sign of infection on the heart they'll postpone but I really don't know what else would make them change the surgery date.

If anyone is curious and wants to know more about the aortic valve and it's role in your hearts overall health, here's a great link courtesy of The Cleveland Clinic.

No comments: