Wednesday, April 03, 2013

The Haircut

William in Tennessee this past October
When I was first planning our trip to Ireland it was going to be just Jeff and I.  But after we went to Cleveland and had to leave Will behind at home, I knew I couldn't do that again.  So I bought a third ticket.  However, before he could go with us I made William promise he'd get a haircut.

He wasn't happy about it, but he's a man of his word.  This past Saturday, he followed through and let Leah cut his hair.

When the curls were pulled straight, Will's
hair was almost 20 inches long
The reality is setting in and William is not
looking too happy.
The thing about William and his hair is...well it was like armour.  It protected him from the world.  Many kids with Aspergers are also very touchy about being touched, and getting your hair cut is pretty big invasion of your personal space.  So to prepare we roll played and went over everything that would happen.  I think having his brother over helped and obviously being at home made a big difference.

 
The day was a total success.  There was no melt down.  There were no tears.  However he was pretty upset on Sunday becuase he thought we'd cut it too short.  Monday morning was a bit touch and go as he was almost crying trying to get his hair done. 

When he came home however all was right in his world.  As I was pretty sure would happen, everyone at school complimented him and said his hair looked great.  Positive peer pressure - a parents' best friend.  I think we stand a pretty good chance of William keeping is next hair appointment with Leah.

1 comment:

Pam said...

His haircut looks great. The women in Ireland will be wanting to talk to him all the time... great job!