Monday, March 04, 2013

Passport Panic

Unemployment Log:  Entry date 20130304  Location, In the middle of a minor panic attack

A rep from the State Dept called me this morning about William's passport application.  Turns out they had sent me a letter in early February requesting a new copy of the parental consent for a minor from my ex. The one I sent in with the application was expired.  The letter was returned to them "Undeliverable".

Undeliverable?!?  USPS can give me ValPak mailers 3 days a week and other junk mail but a letter from The State Department is undeliverable? 

The most likely cause is the ridiculous addressing system down here. It's like they only had a dozen house numbers they could used so they used them over and over.  Let's say we live at 123 23rd St.  There is a house one street over that is 123 24th St. and there is another at 123 22nd St.  This being the situation for over 40 years you would hope the Postal Service would be aware and be careful.  You'd also hope that whoever lives at 123 22nd St. would be kind enough to bring over misdelivered mail.  Sadly none of these things happen. Jeff and I deliver mail to people all the time but that kindness is NEVER returned.  So the next time Mr. 123 24th St.'s mail order perscriptions come to our house he's out of luck.

Okay I am done ranting.  Now I just need to wait on the ex to get his form notarized so I can pick it up and drive it to the regional office in Seattle.  Where I will throw myself upon their mercy and beg them to process William's passport in time for us to make our Dublin flight in April.

No comments: